Introducing Self-Serve Shuttle – At Long Last!
In addition to the regular shuttle service, users are also permitted to deliver their pedestrians to the other side of the bridge using their own vehicles under a system called Self-Serve Shuttle.
This service, using the StraitPass transponder system, will result in a net charge to the vehicle of $15.00 instead of the applicable toll rate of the vehicle being driven, if the trip is carried out within a specified amount of time. This discounted rate will apply irrespective of the number of pedestrians on board. The transponder shuttle tag will be issued at no charge.
What should I know?
- This service is for the non-commercial transportation of individuals only and is not to be used for commercial purposes of any kind. Any deviation from this will result in no refund being issued.
- Customers wishing to use this system must first set up their own StraitPass account by visiting straitpass.com.
- All StraitPass accounts require a valid credit card for payment purposes.
- Please allow 2 business days for processing and account activation. Shuttle tags will not be issued for same day use.
- New shuttle accounts will not be processed outside of regular office hours 8 a.m.– 4 p.m. (Monday-Friday) and tags will not be available for pick up outside of these same hours.
- Once the registration has been completed and approved, your vehicle shuttle tag will be mailed to you, unless arrangements are made to pick it up at our Borden – Carleton office during regular office hours 8 a.m.– 4 p.m. (Monday-Friday).
- Customers wishing to use the self-serve shuttle service must have a shuttle tag in their possession prior to starting their trip. Self-serve shuttle requires a specific shuttle tag. You cannot use the self-serve shuttle with your existing StraitPass transponder.
- If you do not have a self-serve shuttle tag, you will be charged the regular toll rate.
- If you fail to scan your self-serve shuttle tag where required, a refund will not be issued.
- To ensure accurate reading, your shuttle tag must be attached to your rear-view mirror when travelling through the StraitPass lanes.
- The entire process is dependant on the round trip being completed within the allocated amount of time of 40 minutes.
- Applicable toll rates are charged at the start of the trip, and if the steps are carried out accordingly, the charge will be refunded within 2-3 business days. You will receive an email when a refund has been issued.
Travelling from PEI to NB:
- Depart PEI via the StraitPass lanes in the Toll Plaza. Users will be charged the applicable toll rate of the vehicle being driven.
- When you arrive in NB, drop off your passengers and return to PEI.
- When you arrive in PEI, proceed to the Bridge Operations Building (104 Abegweit Blvd) where you are required to scan your Shuttle tag to complete your trip. Within 2-3 business days, users will be refunded the difference between the applicable toll rate of the vehicle being driven and the self-serve fee of $15.00.
Travelling from NB to PEI:
- In NB, remove your Shuttle tag and enter the Cape Jourimain Nature Centre. There you will be required to scan your shuttle tag at the barcode scanner.
- Once scanned, return to your vehicle and cross the Confederation Bridge.
- When you arrive in PEI, drop off your passengers and proceed straight to the Toll Plaza and pass through the StraitPass lane. Users will be charged the applicable toll rate of the vehicle being driven. Within 2-3 business days, users will be refunded the difference between the applicable toll rate of the vehicle being driven and the self-serve fee of $15.00.
Time allowed from PEI to NB including return trip back to PEI (to the Bridge Operations Building, 104 Abegweit Blvd): 40 minutes
Time allowed from NB to PEI including return trip back to NB (to the Cape Jourimain Nature Centre): 40 minutes