In addition to the regular shuttle service, users will now be permitted to deliver their pedestrians to the other side of the bridge using their own vehicles. This service, using the StraitPass transponder system, will result in a net charge to the vehicle of $15.00 instead of the usual charge for $47.00, if the trip is carried out within a specified amount of time. This discounted rate will apply irrespective of the number of pedestrians on board. The transponder will be issued at no charge.
How does the Self-Serve Shuttle work?
Customers wishing to use this system must set up their own StraitPass account by visiting straitpass.com. All StraitPass accounts require a valid credit card for payment purposes. Once the registation has been compeleted and approved, your vehicle shuttle pass will then be sent via mail to the address provided. To ensure accurate reading, your Shuttle Pass must be attached to your rearview mirror when travelling through the StraitPass lanes. The entire process is dependant on the round trip being completed within the allocated amount of time.
Travelling from PEI to NB:
1. Depart PEI via the StraitPass lanes in the Toll Plaza. Users will be charged the standard toll rate of the vehicle being driven.
2. When you arrive in NB, drop off your passengers and return to PEI.
3. When you arrive in PEI, proceed to the Bridge Operations Building (104 Abegweit Blvd) where you will need to scan your Shuttle Pass to complete your trip. Users will then be refunded the difference between the current 2-axle rate, and the self-serve fee of $15.00.
Travelling from NB to PEI:
1. In NB, remove your Shuttle Pass and enter the Cape Jourimain Nature Centre. There you will be required to scan your pass at the barcode scanner.
2. Once scanned, return to your vehicle and cross the Confederation Bridge.
3. When you arrive in PEI, drop off your passengers and proceed straight to the Toll Plaza and pass through the StraitPass lane. Users will be charged the standard toll rate of the vehicle being driven. Users will then be refunded the difference between the current 2-axle rate, and the self-serve fee of $15.00.
Time allowed from PEI to NB and back: 40 minutes Time allowed from NB to PEI and back: 40 minutes
The system is for transportation of individuals only and is not for commercial use.